CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Shake, shake, shake

Matthew 6:19-20
Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Many of you that know me will know that I have never been a big television fan. This goes way back so I am not trying to say that you aren't spiritual if you watch tv. Those of you that have been my friends since the single days have often joked about the combination of Rod and I. When you came over to my house (where bachelor man had lived alone for 5 years prior) you snickered about the very large, giant, mega sized (yes these words have the same meaning) television in the living room. A man's home movie theater if there ever was one. Well, old Betsy finally blew up..I personally think she was struck by lightning! Rod is saying that he is going to fix her, which he is pretty handy, but we will see. Don't tell him I said this but I have seen his research in progress for an HD tv already :). Don't worry though he pulled the tv out of our bedroom (PRAISE THE LORD) and it is housed on top of the broken BIG screen. We will probably have to have a memorial service to get her out of the living room...he is just not ready for that. He will be getting another big one and he has already put his foot down about that. I tried to argue and by asking what is wrong with the one from our bedroom. To which he replied "Babe, you can't see it!" ...heaven forbid. I had a tv that was given to me when I was single and I turned it on...oh about one time in four years to watch the 9/11 attack. When I was sick recently, and no offense for what I am about to say, I flipped through and thought to myself you must have to be really bored to sit here flipping through these channels. That is just my opinion ;). To add to the list of broken things around the house: my check engine light just came on, Rod's trailer tire is rotted out, our computer monitor just bit the dust, my keyboard on my laptop is missing a few keys (I have a new keyboard ordered for her), the hot water heater is leaking...let's see what else I can bore you with...Rods tower fan and hair dryer just died (he has to have noise and so do all of us now that we live together. I now can not sleep without a fan going. He put a ceramic heater in Morgan's room and he runs the fan on it for her so it will crank out some white noise so she can sleep...thank you Rod!). This is all part of every day living...things wear out! I was touching up some paint on the doors a few minutes ago, and spot cleaning the carpet (those are a couple of things I can't stand) and was reminded of just how decaying this world really is. Here are some verses that I especially love to be reminded of when I start clinging a little more tightly to my "earthly treasures" which really aren't mine anyway:

Hebrews 12:22-27
22But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect, 24to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
25See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? 26At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."[e] 27The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain.
28Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, 29for our "God is a consuming fire."[f]

No comments: