CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christ Alone

"It is easy for me to worship in the summer sunshine when the melodies of life are in the air and the fruits of life are on the tree. But let the song of the bird cease and the fruit of the tree fall, and will my heart still go on to sing?...[Then]I know at last that I desire not the gift but the Giver. When I can stand in His house by night I have accepted Him for Himself alone." George Matheson Anyone who has ever experienced any kind of suffering in life will completely understand what this man is saying. George Matheson is new to me as I heard Pastor Erwin Lutzer preach this past week and he brought him up and told of how he was blind and his sisters read to him and he memorized everything. He memorized the scriptures, his sermons, and the thing is that he was not completely blind until he was 20 years old. He finished his education and was called into the ministry, yet he came to a place where he had to pull away for a bit as he grappled with things and came back when he could operate from authenticity. I respect that. God already knows our hearts and I've heard some people say it is wrong to question certain things and I disagree. God is about relationship as scandalous as that is and He is greater than our hearts and He knows and sees everything. So, not two days after listening to that sermon (I made a mental note to look at George Matheson's bio but didn't) I opened my devotional and there was the above quote by this same man. I love the Lord for hearing my voice and I love how alive and active He is in our lives as we seek Him. When we seek Him, we will find Him, when we seek Him with all of our hearts. "My goal is God Himself, not joy, nor peace, Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God."

Bookmark and Share

No comments: