CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Cleaning House

This devo kind of reminded me of Gen 35 when Jacob is about to meet with God at Bethel and he cleans house and makes all of his people take off their earrings and give him their false gods. He then buries them under the oak in Shechem. Some of us need to go around our houses and take a spiritual inventory of things like movies that we watch, what we look at on the computer, the magazines that we look at and try to compare ourselves to and etc. The things that we let in really do affect us. We should look for areas where we have let our guard down and ask God to build those walls of fortification back up around us and our families...FOR OUR OWN GOOD. I know first hand that a little compromise leads to BIG compromise!! I am praying for me personally and the people that I know that God would remove all areas of carnality from us and that we would be consecrated to Him.


Thursday, February 8
David Jeremiah
Breaking the Cycle

Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:23

Recommended Reading
Ephesians 6:1-4

Ollie was surprised to find his dad destroying an old bicycle that had hung for years in the back of the garage. Piece by piece, he was disassembling and burying it in a three-foot hole. "What’s goin’ on, Dad?" asked the boy.

Sitting on the edge of the patio, the man said, "Son, my granddaddy had a terrible temper and he cussed all his life. My daddy had a temper and did the same. I have a terrible temper and I’ve cussed all my life. Yesterday I saw how you lost your temper and said those words. I made up my mind I’d break the cycle, and I’ve asked God to make me a new man for your sake. I decided to do something to help me remember how important this is. So I’m literally breaking this bicycle and burying it."

Ollie didn’t really understand his father’s words that day, but in coming days he saw the difference, and in coming years he understood.

Christ can help you break and bury cycles of dysfunction, addiction, anger, and sin in your life. You have to make up your mind to do it, then trust His all-sufficient grace. You may not destroy a bike, but find a meaningful way to memorialize the end of a long line of sin.


Vicious cycles are no match for victorious grace.
Anonymous

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Leviticus 27:1 - Numbers 1:54

No comments: