CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Turn my eyes from worthless things

Psalm 119:36-37
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.

I don't have a lot of time but I wanted to make a quick post. It is so easy to get caught up in covetousness and lust of the flesh based on what we set our affections on. Today the Holy Spirit reminded me of this verse: "37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word."
I prayed in my Spirit that the Lord would turn my eyes away from worthless things. The word for worthless in the Hebrew is saw
shav' {shawv} or aw>v; shav {shav}
Meaning: 1) emptiness, vanity, falsehood 1a) emptiness, nothingness, vanity 1b) emptiness of speech, lying 1c) worthlessness (of conduct)

I love the King James rendering of verse 37: "37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way."

I have spent myself chasing after the wind to fill a void only to walk away even more discontent than before. Oh if only I would take Him up on His invitation to the thirsty in Isaiah 55!
NIV Isaiah 55:1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
3 Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.

He bids us to turn our eyes from vanity and worthless things, to fix our gaze on Him and delight in the richest of fare! Oh that we would believe Him! I hang my head at the times that I have blended in with the world seeking possessions or relationships to fill the void. I am so thankful that He is the lifter of my head!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

So true, and such great words of wisdom. I constantly strive to remind myself that God is enough. He is more than enough.
It is so easy to slowly take on attitudes of this world- great encouragement today.
Thanks!