CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 11, 2007

Fed by the Ravens


1 Kings 17
Elijah Fed by Ravens 1 Now Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe [a] in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word."
2 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah: 3 "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. 4 You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there."


5 So he did what the LORD had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. 6 The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook.


The account of Elijah, in the Bible, being fed by the ravens is very meaningful to me. See the deal with ravens is that they do not even take care of their own young. When they have their babies they kick them out and will not even migrate in the same area as them. I love how the Lord uses the ravens who won't take care of their own to do His bidding in feeding Elijah during a time of famine and drought.


Matthew chapter 6 is another one of those passages that beckons us to trust God and seek Him for our daily bread, not worrying about tomorrow. We are over and over told to trust and believe God, for Him to supply all of our needs according to His riches and glory in Christ Jesus.


I have been sick the last two days. I was reminded of this passage as I layed on the couch with my body aching. Morgan brought Cheez-its to me and tried to feed me. I thought it was so sweet. Crackers are normally the only thing that I like to eat when I am sick (as the Lord knows). That baby grabbed the box and brought them to feed me. She put one cracker in my mouth after another. I wasn't hungry but I had to take them since she was giving them to me. I was fed by my own young! She loved every second of it to!! Another little reminder she gave me tonight was as she was leaving to go up to her room with her daddy, she grabbed his Bible and tucked it under her arm and headed up to bed. Thank you Lord for the reminder that man can not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4). Thank you Lord for reminding me that You will take care of me even when I am sick. You are so good to Your children. Please help me to trust You more!


1 comment:

Berit said...

Jenny:
It is wonderful how you have pondered and likened these scriptures unto yourself!! I invite you to read some of the story of Elijah put to verse, I think it will be of interest to you:
http://elijahthetishbite.blogspot.com/
It is epoch in nature as Elijah spans many dispensations. It is by no means complete.