CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

When the answers to our "why's" don't come...

Psalm 27:4-5

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.



I have been thinking a lot lately about suffering. I have been surrounded with some immense needs lately. So often, we want to sum everything up regarding life's hurts and we simply can't. If you have ever been through any true valleys in life you know that is not possible (to have all the answers).

Here are some of the prayer requests I have received lately:
loss of a loved one including an infant, chronic health issues, loneliness, despair, a woman struggling because she feels like God is punishing her and that is why she thinks she has had so many awful health problems, financial struggles, divorce, being single, falling into sin and struggling to get back on track, bankruptcy, custody battles, family turmoil, infertility, rejection, job loss, cancer, prodigal children...and the list goes on.

God is completely sovereign but it was never His perfect will for us to have to taste of sin and death.
I spent some time praying for a few people tonight and my heart was so grieved because they are experiencing horrible tragedy. So what do you tell a mother who has lost her precious baby? What do you say at a funeral of a stillborn child? How do you sum those type of things up and tell them that it is all going to be okay, when clearly they are not okay? What about the young girl in Auburn, Alabama who was murdered? What do you say to her family? I am not really asking these as questions. I have learned that sometimes the best thing to say to someone is "I am praying for you" and really earnestly pray and seek to serve those who are so broken hearted and crushed in spirit.

We just won't have all of the answers here on planet earth...even if we do see fruit flow from our suffering. And because we live in a fallen world we will experience so much hardship.

There are a few things that we can be sure of:
1. When Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus he wept for the Mary's and Martha's for all ages...for everyone who would taste the enemy of death and its horrible gut wrenching pain. He wept for you and for me and the hurt of enduring loss.

2. There will come a day when there is no more tears or pain for those of us who are in Christ (Revelation 21). That is the day when our "why's" will cease. That is our hope in Christ, that we will be like Him and the old order will pass away and death will be swallowed up.

Hebrews says that without faith it is impossible to please God. One thing I can say for sure is that when you are walking through the valley of life and you are suffering you will have to cling to Christ. Even when you don't "feel" it. When we lost Shelby life held so many uncertainties and I did not feel like getting up and getting in the word but by God's grace I did. The enemy wants to kick us while we are down and keep us from the Rivers of Living water...and it is when we are going through the darkest night that we need to walk by faith and cling to the word like never before. As we ache, and hurt, and feel despair in this life we have got to cling to the word of God. I can not stress how important it is that we bring the sacrifice of our broken hearts to Jesus for Him to bind them up. If we do not turn to Him we will inevitably turn away.

He still brings beauty from the ashes...I know.

7 comments:

BethAnne said...

This is soooooo true. The enemy's job is to render us ineffective for the Lord (both in our minds and in other people's minds) and he is good at it! If we don't stay in the word, we cannot even begin to fight. Guess that's why we need the Sword, huh?

Charity said...

This scripture comforts me when I am "brokenhearted":

Psalm 34:18 "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

I will never forget the first sermon I heard after my father-in-law passed away from Lou Gehrig's disease (or ALS). He was a pastor for around 25 years. Anyway, the sermon was based on:

Psalm 84:6 "As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools."

To sum it up...basically those who travel through valleys, leave their mark (the springs). If you have traveled through a valley, you can comfort someone who is currently traveling through it. Just like you would be able to comfort someone who has lost a child since you have been through it yourself.

I guess my point is that sometimes, the Lord might put us through something because He knows we could really witness to someone else who might go through it later. Am I making sense?

Anyway, as you said we won't really know the answers to our "why's" on this earth.

I hope you and Morgan have a fun day!

Love and Hugs!
Charity

Dionna said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on Natalie Grant's video. She is one of my new favorites with such a gift at touching the heart! :)

Ashley said...

Thank you so much for you encouragement. I have sent this post to my friends who are hurting.

twinkle said...

I can say it now...but those days in the valley of the shadow of death are some of my most precious moments with my Lord. Our relationship is so much more REAL because of His Presence surrounding me. I am so thankful that I came to Him as a child and have allowed Him to be my comfort through hard times. It is a precious refinement when He is fashioning our HOPE. I think that's the greatest gift from my trials...the HOPE He offers me if I will just trust Him.
Your words were a blessing.

NYC said...

This is so true, so very true. Great post, thanks!

Faith said...

So true! Thanks for your tender words on this.