CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

repeat

My friend Jessica is so sweet to know me and still read my blog...you know what I mean. Anyway, she sent this to me today and I am not sure when I wrote it but I needed these words again to fall fresh on me.


Ephesians 4:26-2726 "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,27 and do not give the devil a foothold.I just got home from work and I have been harboring some anger that left unchecked will turn into bitterness. I was reminded of this verse this morning: Hebrews 12:15 See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. The word for bitter (or bitterness in the KJV) is pikria {pik-ree'-ah}Meaning: 1) bitter gall 1a) extreme wickedness 1b) a bitter root, and so producing a bitter fruit 1c) metaph. bitterness, bitter hatredI thought about this verse and the verse from Eph. 4:26-27 Notice the wording in verse 26 "26 "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, (emphasis mine)." I used to think that this verse meant that I had to work out my anger issues with someone before I went to sleep and that they were to deal with their anger as well. Which we obviously can't control whether someone works on their junk or not. But what if the other person is still angry at you?. I was reminded in my heart that I needed to go home tonight and pour out my heart to God (Lamentations 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint from hunger at the head of every street.) No matter what I have done, I need to try as far as it depends on me to live at peace with others...I can not control whether they reciprocate or not. Also, it is so easy to pick up the phone and talk to a friend about your anger, but I really need to go to the Lord first. I have run across so many people that think they can't get into God's presence and tell them what they are harboring in their hearts. Being a Christian doesn't mean "fake it until you make it!" God made us. He knows our every word before it is on our tongue...he knows our hearts. Who better to pour out our hearts to than Him? I am not saying that we don't need to talk to friends or have godly counsel...but we need to go to His throne first. We will never drain Him. He will never be too busy. On the backlight of my home phones I typed on the screens Jesus. I will put the phones on do not disturb while Morgan is sleeping. When they are on do not disturb the phone reads "do not disturb Jesus." As if He were ever to busy for us! But I think sometimes we limit Him and compare Him to others and adopt the attitude that Jesus has other fish to fry! Nothing could be further from the truth. Anyway, Jesus is after relationship and as long as we are on this planet we will have trials, experience anger, and etc. We need to go to Him so He can heal us of our broken heart. The situation may not change but He can change me. Verse 27 says that if we go to bed with anger that we are giving the enemy a foothold. That is so true. Bitterness and resentment build as we nurse our open wounds without bringing them to Jesus. Then we get a hard heart and allow the enemy in the back door. I KNOW ALL ABOUT THIS!!!!! What is his purpose? He is a theif, he comes only to steal, kill, and destroy. Let's quit giving him the foothold. If you are like me...you may feel at times very justified in holding onto your anger...but over time it will cause a hard heart, a bitter root will spring up and defile many. I know it first hand. Lord, help us to run to you. Like Ishmael and Hagar in the desert about to die, You were the God who "saw her." Help us to pour it all out to You. You are our comfort. Redeem us from anger, bitterness, and unforgiveness Help us to walk in truth

4 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

"miss the grace of God" - that gives me goosebumps to think that we could miss the grace of God...oooohhh! I don't want that! ....
and i loved the verse you shared about God seeing Ishmael and Hagar in the desert---that gives me hope this moment for I think my beautiful God looked down and saw me today in all my tears...He certainly moved in...love your posts that bring me to my good God!

Jackie said...

that's good- thanks for posting!! love ya!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

about the tag of me forgetting my son at home...my 3-year-old woke up & stood at our picture window knocking and yelling at all cars passing by---a grandfather in our neighborhood heard him knocking & yelling as he drove by and the guy stopped...my 3-year-old told him that I had left him home alone and then told him where we hid the key in the front courtyard...so the grandfather opened the door to our house and rescued my son and took him to his home...I FREAKED OUT when I got home and he was gone!...my post got too long so I left it as a cliffhanger...my son loves to tell this story on me...thank you for praying for me...I had such a rough day on my birthday but it ended with rest and peace from my good God as we encountered an unsolvable conflict with a couple tonight, and as we sat at a basketball game that we lost, yes lost, by 40 points but I was able to enjoy my son's playing, not just if he wins, not only if the couple apologizes and they won't, not only if things turn out right but always trust at all times---a good ending to a difficult day. I needed to write a post to make me laugh...thank you jenny hope...you give me hope

Anonymous said...

I love me some Jenny Hope! Girl that is a fresh word on me...cool how it can be a fresh word over and over again..