CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 13, 2007

Vanity

Proverbs 31:30
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Last night Morgan and I were at Walmart (if you can believe that) and as we were waiting in the check out line I glanced over to one of the headlines on a somewhat legitimate magazine. I NEVER even pick those things up to read since it is mostly garbage but this time I had to. I thumbed through the magazine to read the interview of one of the most glorified stars. I once heard someone say that this woman was the most beautiful woman on the planet. I was truly shocked when I read this interview with her. I could not even believe that someone could be so proud of the darkness that they were in. It really hit me that while people may think this woman is some sort of se* symbol she is lost. All of her good deeds are as nothing if she spends an eternity in hell. All of her beauty is so fleeting and it will be of no profit to her. I felt sorry for her and thought how I needed to pray for her lost soul, knowing that I could be right where she is apart from the grace on my life. To take it a step further why on earth would we want to so desperately live vicariously through these peoples lives in trying to mimic their looks, styles and etc? It is high time that you and I get our focus on things above and not down here on the ground. We will spend a lifetime wasted chasing vanity if we don't look up. We are called to be different...the light of this world. We are not called here to let the world infiltrate us. So how are you doing? I know first hand what it is like to try to find my worth or beauty from this world and people in this world. It truly left an insatiable craving in me that could not be satisfied until I had a beast on my hands. I would search for anyone to fill that void in me and my whole life was aimed at trying to get someone to fill that need in me. It is a vicious cycle and not to mention it is expensive to keep it up. We can't keep it up and we will NEVER be satisfied if we are living to please our flesh. It is destructive when we don't look to the Lord to define our beauty. If we keep comparing ourselves among ourselves and with this world system we will become fools. I know this to be true. It is not wrong for us to want to look our best but all of our clothes, shoes, purses, hairdos...none of it matters in the end. The Lord won't be concerned about all of our "good deals" we got at the mall or the fact that we had the latest hair style. It is meaningless. Please hear me when I say this: Who or what is defining your worth. No one should define who you are but the Lord. He calls you beautiful, loved, chosen, forgiven. When you believe the lies of the enemy, and this world system, you will loose part of yourself in attempt to find yourself. Your closest friend doesn't define you, your husband doesn't define you, this world doesn't define you...your past DOES NOT say who you are. It it the Lord. He created your innermost being and He means for you to find your worth in Him alone. If not you will give into all manner of sin out of pure insecurity. Go to Him...run to Him...spend yourself on behalf of Him. That is only where you will find true security. Take it from someone who knows...

Psalm 45:11
11 The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.

3 comments:

Fran said...

Amen Jenny!! You go girl!! Hallelujah....we are loved, forgiven, and got us some grace from the Most High!! Very well said and I will pass along to others. Have a great day!
Fran

Susan said...

Hi Jenny. I wrote this scripture on My Girl's white board in her room. I see her striving to compete in beauty and fashion and I keep telling her that she IS beautiful because He says so! She doesn't yet get that His opinion is all that really matters. Our poor daughters...we have to keep telling them and showing them.

I'm so enjoying your blog!

Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny! Amen siesta! Great post! Oh, how sorry we are going to be on judgemnet day when we stand before God Almighty knowing we wasted so much time folowing our flesh and the things of this world!
You have a great blog here i had to link to you!
Blessings.
Suzi