CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Way' from Kevin Pauley
Aug 1, 2007

Here Lies An Honest Man


meet the author

I make no claim of superior wisdom or originality. I am a student, just like everyone else. My goal in writing is to simply share whatever God chooses to teach me (many times by my children or parishioners) on any given day. I hope the devotionals are a blessing to you.

Kevin Pauley is a pastor and writer. He lives in Illinois with his wife, Lynn, their five children and two dogs. His internet address is Tzedekah

“The Lord demands fairness in every business deal; he sets the standard.” – Proverbs 16:11

Quentin O’Connor, the noted lawyer, died and went to heaven. He had no sooner gotten inside the Pearly Gates when a tremendous chorus of angels began to sing gloriously in his honor. The air was filled with a golden aura, clouds of incense wafted everywhere, and approaching O’Connor was St. Peter himself.

“O’Connor,” said the celestial gatekeeper, “we have long been awaiting you. You are the first human being ever to break Methuselah’s mark for longevity. You have lived 1,037 years.”

“What are you talking about?” said O’Connor, astonished. “I died at the age of sixty-five.”

“At the age of sixty-five?”

said St. Peter, astonished in his turn, “Aren’t you Quentin O’Connor? The corporate lawyer?”

“Yes.”

“From Philadelphia?”

“Yes.”

“But the Record Book has you down for 1,037 years.”

“There must be some mistake. I’m only sixty-five.”

“Something must be wrong,” said St. Peter. “Let me study the book.”

He did so and suddenly clapped his hand to his forehead. “Ah, I see where we made our mistake. We added up the hours you billed to your clients.”

Why is it so important to be honest? Well, for one thing, honesty is necessary for us to live in God’s presence. Psalm 24:3-4 says “Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies.” God expects honesty from us.

My level of honesty or dishonesty reveals just what my character is. We find in Proverbs 12:5 that “The plans of the godly are just” and that “A tree is identified by its fruit” (Matthew 12:33). The Lord told us in Luke 16:10 that “If you cheat even a little, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.”

So look out for all the little subtle dishonesties that we tend to play. Watch for trying to put yourself in the best light, even when it “stretches” the truth a bit.

Otherwise, you may end up as the lawyer who was buried in a cemetery with a tombstone that was inscribed “Here lies a good lawyer and an honest man.” A little boy walking by with his mother read the inscription and asked, “Mommy, why did they bury two men there?”

Copyright:
'The Way' Copyright 2007 © Kevin Pauley. 'The Way' articles may be reproduced in whole under the following provisions: 1) A proper credit must be given to the author at the end of each story, along with their complete bio and a link to http://www.liveasif.org/ 2) 'The Way' content may not be arranged or "mirrored" as a competitive online service.

3 comments:

connorcolesmom said...

That is such a great reminder.
I have to remember that honesty also means not embelishing stories. My hubby would get home and I would tell him all about my awful day (this is when we first moved, were building a house and I had a newborn that was nursing every 45min). I of course would throw in a bit more drama so he would feel so sorry for me but that is lying!! Not telling the truth in whatever form is lying.

Much love,
Kim

Jenny said...

Jenny you always post such uplifting things for me to read every morning! Thank you for blessing us!

Shelly said...

Whew! For out of the overflow of our heart...

Now on another note:
Dearest JennyHope,
I have been gone from blogworld for approximately 8 days. In that time period, you have managed to make 22 posts. TWENTY-TWO POSTS!!! Jennyhope, I have no idea how you eat, sleep, and stay so cute when you have posted 22 posts for me to try to catch up on. I really needed you to be more kind to me and grant me blog-grace. Please forgive me blog-sister...I shall do my best to return to JH blogworld and be a good friend again.
Yours truly,
Twenty-one to go
LOL!